Support and subsidies
The General Representation aims to support Flemish artists and does this in a number of ways. This can range from communicating about an exhibition on our social media channels or offering a drinks reception at a recital. The General Representation also offers support for travel and accommodation costs for festivals hosting Flemish groups, or other specific initiatives often undertaken together with Flemish partners who can offer further support and advice such as Kunstenpunt, het Vlaams Fonds voor de Letteren , het Vlaams Audiovisueel Fonds, en het Vlaams Architectuurinstituut.
Since the Flemish Arts Decree 2016, the Government of Flanders offers two kinds of subsidy, which are also open to external applicants who showcase Flemish artists and their work: http://www.kunstenenerfgoed.be/en/funding
- Project subsidies: covers the costs of a presentation event for artists, usually linked to travel, accommodation and transportation costs. There are three submission dates for applications:
o 15 January: for projects starting after the 1st of May
o 15 May: for projects starting after the 1st of September
o 15 September: for projects starting after the 1st of January in the following year
- Subsidies for a presentation event abroad: a smaller subsidy of up to €7000, for which applications can be submitted up to two months in advance.
All applications must be submitted through the online platform KIOSK.
You will need to make a personal account and appoint a representative. This representative should be authorised to submit the application on behalf of the organisation. Once this has been done, you can complete the application and choose which subsidy to apply for. You can submit an application before you receive the authorisation code for your representative. Given that this code is sent by post, authorisation can be confirmed after the application has been submitted.
In addition to the channels mentioned above, applications should also consider Creative Europe, which is designed to support cultural cooperation. It is an EU programme designed to support cultural, creative and audio-visual sectors. Between 2014-2020, €1,46 billion has been made available to support European projects, earmarked for either travel, reaching new audiences or stimulating development.
Flanders Literature helps boost visibility for literature from Flanders across the world, amongst other things by providing financial support to authors and publishers.
Flemish Literature provides translation subsidies to publishing houses abroad who publish material by Flemish authors, comic book artists, or illustrators. Specific conditions apply to plays, graphic novels and other illustrated works, as well as poetry.
Travel costs of authors who travel abroad to promote their translated work can be partially reimbursed by Flemish Literature.
For more information, please see the following websites:
- subsidies for the translation of prose, non-fiction and childrens or young adult books from the original Dutch
- subsidies for translations of illustrated books from the original Dutch
- subsidies for translations of poetry from the original Dutch
- subsidies for the translation of plays from the original Dutch
- author visits for authors, comic book writers, illustrators and translators
In certain circumstances, Flemish film and TV directors and producers, the majority of whose work is supported by the Flemish Audiovisual Fund/Flanders Image, can apply for a contribution to their travel costs for participation in film and television festivals abroad. For important international festivals the Fund also offers support for promoting their work.
More information about different opportunities is available on the following websites:
- contribution to travel costs for strategically important foreign festivals - single
- contribution to travel costs for strategically important foreign festivals - TV series
- contribution to travel costs for all other strategically important foreign fesitvals - single
- contribution to travel costs for other foreign festivals - TV series
- tussenkomst contibution to travel costs for ampas/oscars/efa recognised foreign festivals
- promotional support - abroad
- promotional support abroad - TV series